What do marriage equality, protection from racial discrimination, and protection from gender-based discrimination have in common? According to Harvard professor Tomiko Brown-Nagin, the Fourteenth Amendment protects all Americans in these areas and more. Viewers hear that the amendment is not static and realize every generation must interpret it for themselves.
- Use in conjunction with other Constitution Hall Pass videos to compare and contrast different scholars' views of the Fourteenth Amendment
- Ask learners to brainstorm where the Fourteenth Amendment offers them protection in their personal lives
- One of three videos from noted scholars in the Constitution Hall Pass series on the Fourteenth Amendment
- The video is short and easy to pair with other resources
- Expert makes clear the connections between the Fourteenth Amendment and today's America