Does moral obligation only make sense in the presence of divine authority? A video summary of "Modern Moral Philosophy" by Elizabeth Anscombe, part of a larger playlist about the world's greatest ideas, provides an overview of a newer theory about morality. Through illustrations and examples, the video helps make Anscombe's theory more accessible to viewers.
- Make a list of the moral obligations people have
- Review some older theories of morality from British philosophers
- Requires a basic understanding of morality and basic theories of morality
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Uses an analogy of chefs and a lost recipe to expand the concept of how to respond to a situation according to different philosophers
- Highlights contrasting ideas to help make the concept clearer
- Narration moves somewhat quickly, which can make the content difficult to follow