This Analyzing the Central Ideas, Part 1: “The Border” lesson plan also includes:
What is your strategy? Scholars read "The Border" and work with a partner to practice reading strategies to use while independent reading. They identify difficult parts where they practiced rereading by marking them with sticky notes, and then reread the passage for comprehension by answering text-dependent questions and using a close reading guide. Finally, readers look at the text one more time using a Quote Sandwich Guide and discussing quotes they find to make their own guides using loose leaf paper.
- Post a list of reading strategies for pupils to discuss
- Lesson three of 10 in Grade 7 ELA Module 2b, Unit 1
- Complete lessons in order
- Uses sticky notes, loose leaf paper, and a document camera
- Offers tips for meeting the needs of struggling learners
- Includes a Suggested Modeling Read-aloud Script for "The Border" to use during instruction