This Animal Classification lesson plan also includes:
How are animals classified? Scholars explore animal classification by observing non-living and living specimens. They learn how to organize animals into vertebrates and invertebrates and identify the five vertebrate groups: mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish. Pupils learn which characteristics of animals determine their classifications by talking about key differences between the groups.
- Allow groups to bring in small specimens from outside of the classroom to observe and classify
- Have groups design posters showing the classification/grouping of the specimens to display
- Uses living specimens that must be acquired ahead of time
- Engaging activity allows students to interact with living specimens
- Includes bonus fun facts to pique interest