Ask not what the lesson here can do for you, but what you can do with the lesson. The answer is quite a lot! Young scholars revisit JFK's famous inaugural address with a focus on his plea for civic engagement. There's a letter to JFK from a young listener from 1961, discussion questions about the speech and letter, and a final journal entry writing assignment.
- Have historians choose former presidents and examine their inaugural addresses, looking for quotes or ideas that resonate with them
- Plenty of supplementary sources to explore on the JFK Library website
- If you choose to listen to or watch a video of the speech, Internet with projection and speakers are required
- Ample extension activities provide creative ways to dive deeper
- A great introduction to what can be a difficult speech for elementary students