Local linearity isn't the first thing that comes to mind to start off an AP® Calculus course. A scholarly article discusses one possible beginning to the AP® Calculus course: investigating and introducing derivatives through activities on local linearity. The author explains how to incorporate the strategy for a better understanding of the concept.
- Use the resource to help plan a first-day activity for the AP® Calculus course
- Pupils should be able to calculate slope
- Familiarity with changing the graphing calculator display windows is necessary
- Provides suggestions for next steps
- Includes a brief overview of the importance of local linearity
- No actual lesson content or handouts