This Build a Bobsled Racer activity & project also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Host a design challenge of Olympic proportion! Junior engineers build their own bobsleds using simple materials. The activity focuses on kinetic and potential energy and how the center of mass affects motion on a downhill track. Customize the build based on the standards you wish to examine or the age of your class.
- Set up bobsled teams of two to four, just like in the Olympics!
- Use the questions provided in the teacher's guide to check understanding throughout the bobsled build
- Be sure to have enough plastic soap holders for each bobsled team in your class
- Consider providing the masses of the weights used to your bobsledders if you have a limited number of balances
- The outstanding teacher's guide comes complete with vocabulary, questioning strategies, and a detailed materials list
- The activity provides a means to examine several NGSS standards and important problem-solving skills
- Most of the materials are reusable for years of enjoyment!