This Carbohydrate Consumption, Athletic Performance and Health – Using Science Process Skills to Understand the Evidence activity & project also includes:
Should athletes carb load before an event or consume carbohydrates during the competition? Scholars discuss how to set up a hypothesis and experiment to answer a question relating carbohydrates and athletic performance. Then, they read scientific studies on the same topics and compare the similarities and differences. They focus on the variables and study methodologies.
- Discuss the process of a human digesting carbohydrate and the timing for each benefit
- Invite a sports nutritionist to speak to the class about carbohydrates and protein
- Relies on prior knowledge of carbohydrates, proteins, and independent and dependent variables
- Includes extension ideas and links
- Applies broad scientific concepts to a specific topic many pupils use