This Cellular Soap Opera - Soap Films Can Behave Like Membranes activity & project also includes:
Soap, suds, and cell membranes. Pupils create a model of a cell membrane by using soap films. They experiment with trying to pass different objects through the film without popping it. Using a tube, they create a passageway through the bubble, which allows any object to traverse to the other side of the film.
- Since this is a model be sure the class members understand its limitations
- Use along with How Does Soap Inactivate Coronaviruses to show the demonstrations
- It is beneficial if the class understands how a cell membrane works to allow molecules to move across them
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides suggestions for extensions
- Includes information about teaching tips