This Civil Rights Movement: Martin Luther King lesson plan also includes:
The famous words of Martin Luther King still resonate with scholars today. An enlightening instructional activity helps pupils examine the "I Have a Dream" speech in more depth and learn what impact it had on the civil rights movement. Young historians read and listen to the speech before completing a variety of activities, small group discussions, and a writing exercise.
- Use the video to compare Martin Luther King Jr. to other civil rights leaders such a Malcolm X
- Lead a discussion on why the civil rights movement occurred
- It may be helpful to have a backup link of the "I Have a Dream" speech audio in case the YouTube video does not work
- The lesson provides both text and audio of the speech to help engage auditory and visual learners
- Provides a rubric for easier grading