This Comparing Modern and Ancient Ideas of Ethnicity and Identity lesson plan also includes:
Explore ethnicity and identity with a research and writing assignment. Class members conduct online research, looking in particular at images and carefully noting down their sources on notecards. They read about identity and compose essays that compare the ethnicity and identity that they experience to that of ancient people or the nineteenth century Middle Eastern world.
- The plan includes individual activities, but could easily be supplemented with small-group and whole-class discussion of the concepts
- Depending on the length of your class periods, you may want to tell students to focus on two or three steps each day to break up the rather dense assignment page
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes guiding questions for discussion
- Encourages pupils to cite sources and use evidence from their research to support their thesis statements
- There isn't much scaffolding provided for the essay assignment