This Determining Author’s Opinions, Reasons, and Evidence: Signs of Hope and Progress for African Americans in the 1920s (Promises to Keep, Pages 14–15) lesson plan also includes:
Caption this. Readers look at the text features in Promises to Keep and pay special attention to the photographs and captions before adding to the Features of Informational Text anchor chart. Learners then answer questions about life in the 1920s in their journals. Finally, they search for evidence in the text that supports the author's opinion.
- Compare text features in historical informational text to scientific information text
- Lesson four of 17 in Grade 5 ELA Module 3A, Unit 2
- Requires completing lessons in order
- Offers teacher notes giving details and tips about guiding pupils through the reading
- Lists ideas for meeting the needs of all learning types