This Diabetes: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
After reading a series of articles that provide background information about Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, class members design a meal plan and an activity plan for a weeklong summer camp for 5- to 8-year olds with diabetes. A second activity has teens and tweens researching the role of the pancreas. They then create a storyboard that depicts how the pancreas works.
- Offer class members the option of completing the two activities working in groups or individually
- Divide the class into four groups, assign each group a different article to review, and report what they have learned to the whole class
- Groups need access to computers with internet
- Copies of several worksheets are required
- Includes a comprehension quiz and answer key