This Doctors and Nurses activity & project also includes:
How many nurses does it take to support one doctor? A project-based activity asks learners to analyze state data to answer this question. Classes create polynomial functions from the data of doctors and nurses over a seven-year period. They then combine the models to create a rational function and provide a summary of their results in a technical memo.
- Choose data from the states that fit the models of interest
- Post the video resources for pupils to use when needed
- Expects a prior understanding of rational functions and ratio relationships
- Includes scaffolding resources for those not familiar with Excel
- Notes provide ideas to adapt the project for different concepts
- Only includes data through 2008, making the analysis outdated