This Does the Percentage of People Who Walk to Work in Cities Vary with Population Size? activity & project also includes:
To walk or not to walk? Pupils create box plots comparing the percentage of residents who walk to work in large, medium, and small cities. Using the box plots, class members compare the data that reflects available statistics. Scholars write three-paragraph reports detailing the information they learned and why the data is important to city governments.
- Survey the school to find the percentage that walk to school and compare it to the box plots
- Use technology to create the box plots if using the activity in seventh grade
- Learners should know how to create box plots
- Contains suggestions for extensions
- Includes an answer key with sample responses