This Empathy lesson plan also includes:
Scientists discovered empathy is a learned behavior, not an instinct or inherited behavior. The second lesson in a 12-part series focuses on teaching empathy, an important life skill. Scholars use discussion and role playing to practice recognizing emotions and displaying appropriate kindness.
- Assign a writing prompt that asks students to reflect on a time they empathized with another person
- Prior to beginning the series, investigate the support systems available on campus and in the community
- Site is based in Great Britain and may include content applicable only to GB
- Be aware of potential triggers, such as sharing about a family pet that recently died
- Provides extension and differentiation ideas
- Details multiple options to personalize for teachers' needs