This Empathy: Grades 9-12 lesson plan also includes:
- Walk a Mile in Another Person's Shoes (.pdf)
- Understanding Other People
- Emotional Intelligence
- What Does It Mean to Be a Friend?
- I Hurt My Friends' Feelings. What Should I Do?
- Getting Along With Your Teachers
- Talking to Your Parents—or Other Adults
- Join to access all included materials
Empathy can be the glue that holds a society together. Learning how to see and appreciate a situation from another's point is key to developing empathy toward others. The two activities in this resource are designed to help teens identify ways to show more empathy to one another.
- Review or conduct a mini-lesson on the format of newspaper articles
- Laminate the "Walk a Mile in Another Person's Shoes" scenarios to permit reuse
- Requires computers with internet access
- The activities encourage the development of self-awareness as well as viewing situations from other perspectives
- The packet includes links to the background reading articles, a template for the role-play activity, and discussion questions