Eukaryotes—were we born from an act of predation that backfired? Ponder this and other questions of evolution with a video from a well-written biology playlist. Topics include the origins of mitochondria and chloroplasts, unusual behaviors of both organelles, and present-day examples of endosymbiosis.
- Have the class read an article about the microbes living inside termites, then show the video
- Plan discussion time after the video to talk about the multiple lines of evidence scientists have that support endosymbiotic theory
- Compare and contrast mitochondria and chloroplasts with middle schoolers before viewing to make sure they understand the functions of both
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The narrator does a fantastic job of presenting the theory and evolutionary lines associated with it
- Diagrams help clarify some of the more difficult aspects of the content