This Environmental Case Study: Hetch Hetchy Valley interactive also includes:
What is more important: building a new school or preserving a nature reserve? Keeping a natural area clean or providing clean drinking water to a city of millions? Young scholars weigh these questions—almost literally—using an interactive scale and primary sources addressing the dam in the Hetch Hetchy Valley at the turn of last century. Primary sources include petitions from various stakeholders and citizens' groups.
- Offer the activity to stimulate a debate about environmental preservation and economic growth
- Learners need computer access
- Class members should have some background on the Hetch Hetchy project and Progressive Era
- Interactive tool builds analytical skills
- Introductory activity connects the history of Hetch Hetchy Valley to present-day questions about environmental preservation