This Estuary Metaphors activity & project also includes:
Mixing metaphors into science. To begin, the instructor leads a discussion about estuaries to determine what the class already knows. Working in small groups, pupils determine how a selected object is similar to an estuary, how it represents a feature of an estuary, and come up with a metaphor to describe an estuary using the item. Each group works with at least five objects before sharing out their ideas.
- Either take a field trip to an estuary or show a video about one
- Assumes knowledge of estuaries
- Requires acquiring several household objects
- Includes explanations for suggested objects
- Provides discussion questions to use with the class