This Exhibiting Common Threads lesson plan also includes:
Artists working in different media often explore the same themes—to model how these same themes weave their way through different forms of artistic expression, scholars analyze images by Dorothea Lange, identifying key themes in her photographs. Then, research artists who explored the same themes and create a thematic exhibition, paring one of Lange's works with the artwork of another artist working with the same theme.
- Coordinate the lesson with the school librarian to collect books that the class can use to research artists who may provide points of comparison to Lange's art
- Post the exhibitions about the school or online
- Class members require access to computers with internet
- The eight-day lesson plan is richly detailed
- Includes questions to guide the analysis of each work
- Provides a list of suggested artist to research