This First Day of School lesson plan also includes:
On the first day of school, get to know your class members, and encourage friendship with a poetry lesson that uses adjectives. Scholars brainstorm personality traits, draft an "I Am" poem composed of words that describe them, then share their final draft on a webpage. Early finishers complete a self-portrait.
- Display finished products at Open House
- Create a poem for yourself, share your final draft with the class as an example and a way for them to get to know you
- Revisit the lesson on the last day of school, give pupils their first poem and discuss and similarities and differences they see
- If a webpage is unavailable for posting, share poems person-to-person using a cooperative learning activity such as Mix, Pair, Share
- The lesson boosts peer interaction
- A list of objectives shed light on learners' knowledge of grammar and writing skills