This Food Labels: Grades 9-12 lesson plan also includes:
Check the label! That's the big idea in a lesson about using the nutrition facts on food labels rather than advertising hype to make healthy choices about what to eat. After reading background articles and learning how to read nutrition labels, individuals craft a persuasive argument against added sugar in foods.
- Invite class members to bring in food packages for the Honest Abe advertising activity
- Collect packaging from the food choices available on campus
- Divide the class into eight groups, assign each a different article, and have them report their findings to the whole class
- Presumes learners have experience crafting persuasive arguments for a position paper
- Requires individual copies of the "People vs Sugar" worksheet
- The packet includes links to related articles, discussion questions, and a comprehension check and answer key