Where does the food in our grocery stores come from? What are the steps the food went through to arrive on the shelves? As part of a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of processed food and locally grown products, class members examine food labels, consider the costs involved in packaging and transporting food, and then use fresh ingredients to create their own salsa.
- Schedule the activity for the beginning of May as part of a Cinco de Mayo celebration
- Create a graphic organizer of the local area and research what fresh food would be available each month of the year
- The activity requires considerable set-up time
- Check to determine if any of the participants have food allergies
- The packet includes a detailed plan, a fact sheet, and discussion questions