This Fun with Speedboats! lesson plan also includes:
After reading about marine engineers and naval architects, it's all hands on deck to design and test a speed boat. This lesson is designed for the Next Generation Science Standards in engineering and can be a centerpiece for a STEM lesson or a physical science unit on kinetic and potential energy and Newton's laws of motion.
- Worksheets include design and testing, data tables, and evaluation
- Competitive aspect makes the activity even more memorable
- Fosters critical thinking and cooperation
- Meets Next Generation Science Standards in engineering
- Although the speed of a boat depends on potential energy, force, and mass, none of these concepts are taught within the lesson; make sure learners are familiar with them prior to implementation