This Grade 10 ELA Module 2: Unit 2, Lesson 8 lesson plan also includes:
How do people's relationships with their parents impact their lives? Scholars read paragraphs 23–26 from "A Genetics of Justice" by Julia Alvarez, in which the author details her relationship with her mother. Pupils discuss how the author uses specific details to refine her ideas. Finally, they complete a quick write to analyze a central idea of the text and analyze its development.
- Invite individuals to write and/or share about their own relationships with a parent or other family member
- Fits as the eighth of 10 lessons from the Grade 10 ELA Module 2: Unit 2 series
- Lesson order is important
- Does not include Alvarez's essay, so instructors must provide copies
- Includes sample student responses to help guide the discussion
- Provides useful instructional tips and ideas for lesson differentiation