This Grade 12 ELA Module 1: Unit 1, Lesson 24 lesson plan also includes:
Today's discussion of The Autobiography of Malcolm X focuses on the precise words, the telling phrases, and the sensory details Haley uses to enliven his story. Writers then work to incorporate these same techniques in the draft of their college essay.
- Have writers label the writing techniques they use in their personal essay drafts
- A protocol must be in place for the safe, respectful discussion of controversial topics
- The 24th in a 28-series unit on narrative writing that uses The Autobiography of Malcolm X as an anchor text, and as a model for the personal narrative required for the college Common Application
- The 10-page packet includes a detailed writing plan, discussion questions and model responses, and a homework assignment
- Designed for Common Core
- Some class members may need additional support to enable them to make the connection between Haley's writing and their own