This How are Equality and Equity Different? lesson plan also includes:
Equality does not equal equity. That's the take-away from a lesson plan that asks young people to consider what could be done to make a variety of situations more just, more equitable. After examining images that illustrate the difference between equality and equity, groups suggest ideas for a city that has more parks per resident in one sector than another, or to a situation where computer access is not the same in all schools in a city. the groups ideas are then posted on a word wall for all to consider.
- Instructors should set aside time to read the linked background materials before conducting the lesson
- Enlarge and post the images that demonstrate the differences between equality and equity
- Third in a series of eight lessons in an Environmental Justice, Equity, and Health unit
- Lessons are cumulative and designed to be presented in order
- Requires copies and index cards
- Provides suggested answers for the Equality vs (In)Equity worksheet