This How Light Pollution Affects the Stars: Magnitude Readers lesson plan also includes:
Did you know light can decrease visibility? Light pollution absolutely makes it more difficult to see stars. Scholars build a simple magnitude reader to determine the magnitude of stars. They use these data to estimate the impact of light pollution in their areas before learning how to limit light pollution.
- View photos of the earth at night from the ISS to see how much light pollution exists
- Requires inkjet transparencies made using the provided template
- Lesson begins with a nighttime star party to learn the proper observation method
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Offers multiple extension projects for citizen scientists
- Connects concepts locally as well as intergallactically