If you have a student who must use a wheelchair throughout the school day, you may want to offer this video as a resource for both their enrichment as well as a means of support. Mary Allison Cook, a young 27-year old woman who has used a wheelchair for 23 years, offers her personal tips for managing daily tasks in a wheelchair.
- Offer this video to a learner and his or her family during an IEP meeting
- Review for a better understanding of what a student in a wheelchair must manage, and therefore what you must account for in your class (i.e. fitting into tight spaces, enough room to maneuver their bodies in their wheelchair, etc.)
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Tone is positive and encouraging
- Discusses emotional considerations in addition to physical limitations of wheelchair use