This Lesson 1- Set Design activity & project also includes:
Line, shape, color, texture, space. The first in a three-part series of lessons intended for advanced theatre arts classes introduces the elements of set design. Class members examine maquettes and analyze how designers have put together these elements to set the mood and tone for a particular play.
- Post images of sets from a multitude of shows about the classroom and have class members analyze how the design elements are used to create a specific mood and tone
- If computer animated drawing (CAD) software is available, have class members use the software to design and dress their sets
- Requires script excerpts, colored pencils, and laptops if using CAD software for the project
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides images of maquetes for a variety of plays
- Includes an explanation of the different emotions connoted by the designer's choice of line shape and direction