This Lesson 2: Using the Pandemic Vulnerability Index Model to Examine the Risk Factors Associated with COVID-19 lesson plan also includes:
A lesson asks young mathematicians to investigate the social determinants and the environmental factors that influence risk factors associated with the spread of COVID-19. Class members then brainstorm what they can do to alleviate the impact of these factors.
- Have groups use the provided links to research more current statistics
- The second lesson in a two-part series
- Requires computers with internet access
- Presumes a protocol has been established to ensure a safe, respectful discussion of the influence of race and economic factors on the vulnerability index
- All the graphs and charts included in the resource are dated; however, they still could be used for the model, or updating the charts could be incorporated as part of the lesson
- The first day of the lesson focuses on social determinants while the second day looks at the physical and environmental determinants