This Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise | Maya Angelou and the 1993 Inaugural Poem: “On the Pulse of Morning” video also includes:
President Bill Clinton asked Maya Angelou to deliver a poem as part of his 1993 Inaugural Ceremony. Class members watch a clip of Angelou's presentation, do a close reading of the full text of the poem, and respond to discussion questions. They compare her poem to Robert Frost's Inaugural Poem, identifying how each poet identifies the challenges the new president and the country face.
- Have groups compare the Inaugural Poems of Robert Frost, Maya Angelou, and Amanda Gorman, identifying how each of the poets speaks to the hardships and worries of that time
- The resource is part of the PBS American Masters Collection
- Includes a video of Angelou's presentation, a worksheet, discussion questions, teaching tips, and suggested activities
- Includes the text of both Angelou's "On the Pulse of the Morning" and Robert Frost's "The Gift Outright"
- A link is provided to Angelou's full performance