Scientists discovered the key to nautilus buoyancy when they X-rayed the shell of living mollusks. An educational video shares these X-rays and explains how the process works. It connects evolutionary changes, a unique circulatory system, and the benefits of buoyancy for the nautilus.
- Compare the buoyancy of a nautilus and a submarine
- Relies on prior knowledge of buoyancy
- Video permits streaming, downloading, and sharing as needed for educational purposes
- Designed to meet the Benchmarks for Science Literacy for middle school
- Requires very little class time, so it's easy to work into a lesson plan