This Obesity: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Screen time and fast foods, sugary drinks and greasy fries have lead to one-third of tween and teens being overweight or obese. As part of the Health Problems Series scholars analyze the nutritional value of the school food services menu and develop an improved menu to take to the principal. In addition, they examine Dr. Quackenscam's Diet Plan and write an essay that debunks the plan and offers healthy alternatives to Quackenscam's absurd tips.
- Have groups create posters that tout the benefits of healthy snack choices
- Save copying costs and load the background information articles on computers
- Divide the class into groups, assign each one of the background articles to read and report on to the whole class
- Groups need access to computers with internet
- Food insecurity is a modern reality; be sensitive to issues some pupils may be facing
- The packet includes links to the background articles, discussion questions, and a comprehension quiz with answer key