This Playground Profiling—Topographic Profile Mapping lesson plan also includes:
The Kuril islands stretch from Japan to Russia, and the ongoing dispute about their jurisdiction prevents many scientific research studies. Scholars learn to create a topographic profile of a specific area around their schools. Then they read the topographic profile maps of the Kuril islands to better understand that area.
- If possible have different groups use different tools, such as a surveyor's tripod versus a clinometer, to measure the same area and discuss the variation in measurements
- Relies on prior knowledge of topography, using similar triangles, and coordinate graphing
- Prepare the surveying tools and practice using them before handing them to pupils
- Incorporates science, math, and social studies
- Offers additional profile maps to create extensions or assessments