An interactive lesson places pupils as scientists who must learn why the ozone layer is being destroyed by analyzing the data from multiple satellites. The first analysis shows how UV is related to the ozone cycle. The second demonstrates the human-created CFCs in the atmosphere and their impacts on the ozone cycle. Finally, the resource covers a natural process of ozone destruction due to the polar vortex.
- If pupils have Internet at home, have them read through the resource and view the animations on their own before briefly discussing it during class
- Best fits as a review of the polar vortex and ozone
- Due to the large amount of reading, some learners may need extra time or prefer to read it aloud
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes engaging graphics and easy-to-understand animations
- Compares the human-created ozone hole to the naturally created one