This Puberty: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Going through puberty isn't easy, or for the faint of heart. Prepare middle schoolers for the challenges of the changes with activities that ask them to assume the role of a reporter for the Human Body Olympics. Writers craft a news article identifying the hormone they believe should win the award for causing the greatest changes of puberty. A second activity casts individuals as an advice columnist responding to queries about puberty. Writers research and provide responses to a letter from a tween.
- Before conducting the lesson, check with your administration to determine if parental permission is required given the topic
- Invite a medical professional to talk with the class about puberty
- Use the quiz to assess understanding of the material
- Be sure that a protocol has been established for a safe, mature, and respectful discussion of the topic
- The activities provide information without personal embarrassment
- Includes a answer key for the quiz