This Racial Disparity in the Criminal Justice System lesson plan also includes:
Explore the impact of the war on drugs in a thought-provoking lesson for high school academics. Young historians delve into the world of the criminal justice system and the racial disparity that occurs in the US. The resource provides text excerpts, discussion strategies, and guidelines to help pupils understand how the justice system is not always fair, especially for minority groups. Scholars learn how certain practices can unfairly target African Americans and create a cycle that is difficult to break.
- Assign the exit ticket as homework if short on time
- Have learners create a guide that helps them understand their rights
- Part seven of 10 consecutive lessons on Jim Crow Laws
- Resource lists background knowledge needed to understand the material
- The lesson promotes peer discussion