This Reading Closely and Introducing Rhetoric Toolbox: Unions as Agents of Change—Part 1 lesson plan also includes:
Scholars explore the question of whether labor unions are the agents of change as they continue reading César Chávez's 1984 speech, "Address to the Commonwealth Club of California." They discuss rhetoric in Chávez's speech and discover how he used the plight of farm workers to create the United Farm Workers (UFW) movement.
- Show a brief video about rhetoric
- Before teaching the lesson, find several images of farm workers' strikes led by Chavez and the UFW
- Lesson three from the consecutive eight-part Grade 7 ELA Module 2a, Unit 2 series
- Offers tips for meeting the needs of all learners
- Includes teaching notes to help with lesson preparation