This Senators' Pay in the First Congress interactive also includes:
Senators are public servants but they do get paychecks. The activity focuses on historical analysis and a treasury document from the first Congress. Scholars read the document, answer questions, and participate in group discussion to understand the rationale behind senators' base pay and how it has changed.
- Compare senators' pay in the first Congress to what they make today
- Discuss the pros and cons of public service
- Requires a computer with Internet access to complete the activity
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Activity includes teaching instructions
- The resource includes links with additional background knowledge to help students understand the activity