This Smart Growth lesson plan also includes:
New roads, new businesses, new developments, new mass transit systems. All growth has both positive and negative effects on communities. Government classes investigate the principles of Maryland's 1997 Smart Growth program and the effectiveness of the program in reducing pollution. Teams then plan a development for an area following Smart Growth guidelines.
- Have groups investigate the current status of Maryland's Smart Growth program or similar programs in their state or community
- Although based on the Maryland program, the principles could be applied to any state or area
- The 15th in a series of 19 related resources
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The three-page packet includes the plan and information on Maryland's Smart Growth Program
- The data is dated