This Smoking: Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Light up middle schoolers' understanding of the monetary and health costs of smoking with two activities. First, class members calculate how much a smoker would spend in a year if they smoke a pack a week or a day. They then explore strategies for dealing with peer pressure centered around smoking.
- Begin the lesson by showing and discussing the video "Smoking Stinks"
- Divide the class into seven groups, assign each a different article to read, and report on to the entire class
- Save the cost of printing the articles by loading them on student computers
- Requires copies of multiple handouts
- Groups must have access to computers with internet
- Be sensitive to the fact that some class members may have family members who are smokers
- Includes discussion questions, templates for the handouts, a comprehension quiz, and an answer key