How does the modern television show House of Cards and its dramatization of a power-hungry congressman in American government illustrate public choice theory—the concept that politicians retain personal interests after being elected into office?
11 Views 6 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- This would be an excellent opportunity for a cross-curricular assignment drawing on American government and economics content
- Discuss further as a class some of the topics briefly mentioned in the video (i.e. pork barrel spending, horse trading, concetrated benefits and dispersed costs, etc.) politicians stay human—still have wants and needs
- Review video to determine whether the clips are appropriate for the maturity of your learners
- Several specific references are made to the plot points of the television show; however, it is not necessary that viewers have actually seen the show prior to watching the video
- Speaker is very clear in his explanations and use of evidence
- Highly engaging and humorous