This The Engine of Life lesson plan also includes:
There is a specific zone, or distance from a star, that a planet must be in order to have water in a liquid form. The activity demonstrates how flux density depends on its distance from the source. A photovoltaic cell gets power to drive a motor if it's within the proper zone, thus depicting the engine of life within a planetary system.
- Research the number of planets in a habitable zone within Kepler: https://www.nasa.gov/ames/kepler/a-keplers-dozen-small-habitable-zone-planets
- Determine the number of groups based on the availability of equipment
- Before the experiment, verify the photovoltaic cell generates enough power for the motor being used
- Includes a photo of how to properly set up the materials for success with the experiment
- Offers extension ideas for older or more advanced scholars