How does the amount of water required to grow alfalfa impact ice cream prices? The PBS food science video, part of a larger playlist, explains how farmers use water to grow the alfalfa that is fed to dairy cows. the video introduces the concept of hidden resources in basic foods.
- Track one meat (chicken, beef, etc.) back to the resources needed to produce it and discuss the hidden resources
- Before watching the video, bring in alfalfa and ask if this plant is something pupils eat
- Video allows for streaming, downloading, sharing, and even modifying as needed
- Provides discussion questions
- Requires very little class time