This The Paradise Papers: A Lesson in Investigative Journalism lesson plan also includes:
The Paradise Papers, a year-long research project from the International Consortium of Investigative Journalism (ICIJ) exposed how political leaders, business people, and wealthy individuals used offshore entities to avoid taxes and hide unethical practices. A fascinating video introduces viewers to the project and the challenges investigative journalists face as they collect, verify, and check the authenticity of documents and tips to follow the money trail across the continents. An interactive graphic permits learners to trace how influencers used offshore accounts to shield profits from taxation. The resource provides insight into how investigative journalists sift through documents and assure the reliability of their work.
- Pause the 49-minute video frequently to permit viewers to ask questions and take notes
- Set aside extra prep time to preview the 49-minute video and prepare materials
- The interactive focuses on President Trump's influencers
- The resource models how researchers can validate the information
- Materials are offered in both PDF and Word formats