It turns out that "instantaneous rate of change" isn't an accurate representation of the derivative. Viewers of the second video in a series of 11 learn about the concept of the derivative, from the limit of a difference quotient to the slope of a tangent line. The video also explains why thinking about derivatives as instantaneous rates of change is paradoxical.
- Pause video at indicated times to have a class discussion
- Learners should have familiarity with derivatives
- You can view this resource separately from the first video
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Thorough explanations make the concept clear
- Interesting graphics and animations are likely to hold pupil interest