This The Village Blacksmith lesson plan also includes:
- Longfellow's "The Village Blacksmith" and Whitman's "Song of Myself"
- Fun With Poetry!
- Poetry Analysis
- TIME Magazine: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Language Arts Resources
- Poets Resources
- Graphic Organizer Resources
- "The Village Blacksmith" Resources
- Poetry Analysis Resources, Grades 9-12
- Join to access all included materials
Strike a mighty blow for poetry analysis with a lesson that uses Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "The Village Blacksmith" as the core text. Using the Poetry Analysis Worksheet, scholars learn how knowledge of the poetic devices a poet employs can help them interpret and analyze a poem.
- For independent practice, ask class members to select another poem and complete the Poetry Analysis Graphic Organizer for it
- The lesson includes links to background information, a PowerPoint presentation, a graphic organizer, and the complete text of the poem
- Requires copies of the poem and of the graphic organizer
- The eight-step process is specific and takes the mystery out of poetry analysis