This Thermal Insulators: Keep it Hot! lesson plan also includes:
There's nothing like a cup of hot chocolate on a chilly winter's day. Except for when that hot chocolate quickly becomes lukewarm chocolate ... or even cold chocolate. What material provides the best insulation to keep the chocolate from cooling? Challenge your physical science super stars to design the perfect beverage container using the materials and guiding questions in this detailed lesson plan.
- Provide pupils with a concept map template to organize information generated by the web quest
- Allow time for the included extension activities to give the class greater exposure to the concepts of insulators, conductors, and heat energy
- The class will need time in the computer lab to complete the web quest
- Be sure to have all materials prepared prior to completing the lab experiment
- All printable materials (excluding a concept map) are included in the teacher's guide
- The experiment exposes learners to a useful, real-world situation and provides opportunities for further study